Pages

Monday, February 22, 2016

Monkey Bread

For some reason I just wanted to make some cinnamon rolls and of course my husband wasn't opposed, but he told me he could really go for monkey bread.  I love a challenge so I started combing web posts for monkey bread.  I was surprised that I had to add "from scratch" to my search! Most recipes you find online start with pre-made plain biscuit dough, which just doesn't cut it! Monkey bread needs a slightly sweet dough base for me.  I found 2 different recipes and just picked the easier one (http://www.food.com/recipe/cinnamon-pull-apart-bread-from-scratch-476343).  I really didn't want to wait overnight for my sweet treat! I changed a few things and it turned out great!!! I know some people put a glaze on top or dip in butter before eating but I promise this does not need anything! Here is what I came up with:




Monkey Bread
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 1/3 cups warm water (110 degrees F)
1 teaspoon sugar or honey
2 Tablespoons butter, melted
1 teaspoon salt
2 Tablespoons sugar
3 1/2 cups flour
1-2 Tablespoons milk

1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

1/2 cup butter
1 cup dark brown sugar
2 teaspoons water

Mix yeast, water, and 1 tsp sugar together and let it sit for 5 minutes.

Combine melted butter, salt, 2 Tbsp sugar and flour using a dough hook.  Add milk as needed to form a cohesive dough ball and then mix 5 minutes on low.

Leave dough in bowl and place in a warm area, covered with a towel, for 1 1/2 hours or until doubled in size.

  1. Once dough is risen, punch down. Make small balls of dough about 2-3cm in diameter. Coat in sugar-cinnamon mixture, placing in a bundt pan, and repeat til all your dough is gone. Pour any remaining cinnamon/sugar mixture over dough balls.
  2. Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
  3. Place 1/2 cup butter, brown sugar and water in a microwave safe bowl and heat until butter is melted.  Stir until mixture is smooth. Pour heated mixture over dough balls, bake for 25-30 min. 
  4. Let it cool for 10 minutes and then tip onto a plate and wait 3-5 more minutes so all the gooiness and run down onto the plate and you don't lose any in the pan. Remove pan and enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment