Pages

Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Rice pudding for the Little Man

Yesterday we made a double batch of rice for the week and it made me think that rice pudding would be great for my little man.  There are so  many different varieties it was hard to choose but I went with raisin and cinnamon flavored.  My LM can't have regular milk yet so I chose to use yogurt instead. I went with greek yogurt because that is what I have in my fridge but I am sure it would work with regular yogurt as long as it is plain.  There is enough natural sugar in this dish without adding more! The good news is that the yogurt gives it a little protein and the fruit is actually full of potassium :) My LM does not like the texture of rice normally but this is really creamy so it is not necessary.


Cinnamon Raisin Rice Pudding
1/3 cup raisins
2 dates*
1 cup water
1/2 cup day old cooked rice
1/3 cup greek yogurt
A few sprinkles of nutmeg and cinnamon

Put raisins, dates and water in a small pot. Cook for 5-10 minutes on medium high heat to soften. Add the rice. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for another 10 minutes or until liquid is almost all the way absorbed. Add the yogurt and spices. Mix until creamy then remove from heat.  Puree if desired.


*If you are going to puree the pudding then you can leave them whole.  If you are not going to puree then it is best to chop prior to cooking.

No comments:

Post a Comment