Pages

Wednesday, December 9, 2015

Quick Enchilada Soup

Yesterday I was in need of an easy to make dinner.  I looked in the pantry and saw a can of pork and a can of chicken.  I remembered a soup I had made before using a can of green enchilada sauce and thought that would go perfect with the canned meat because it really improves the flavor.  (Lets face it - canned meat is a little weird tasting if you don't season the heck out of it. I have it as part of my food storage.) I used a crockpot just to allow the maximum amount of time for the meat to take on the flavor of the enchilada sauce, but you definitely don't have to.  It works just as well in a pot on the stove. I would have used 2 can of the same meat if I had it, but I only had one of each and it turned out just fine. Because there is salt added to canned meat I did not add salt to my soup.

Easy Enchilada Soup

2 cans cooked chicken or pork, drained
1 can green enchilada sauce
2 tablespoons dried onions
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 red potatoes, cubed

Put all ingredients in a pot and bring to a boil for 15 min or until potatoes are tender.

I topped with cheese and ate with tortilla chips.  It would also be delicious with some fresh cilantro and dollop of sour cream. My preference is a little thicker soup.  If you want a thinner soup you can add chicken stock or water.

Printable Recipe

No comments:

Post a Comment